Transfer Credit - Get a Course Evaluated

Understanding your Transfer Credit Report.

Read the Ohio State Transfer Credit Policy and more....

Do you have a G000, S000, T000 course that you think "might" count toward a degree requirement (i.e., general education requirement, major, or minor)?

What is G000, S000, T000?

If the answer to this question is YES, then you have some preparatory work to do prior to meeting with your advisor(s).


For a math course, visit the Math Counseling Office for course evaluation instructions; they have very specific evaluation instructions, and you will be required to meet with the math counselors before you meet with your academic advisor.

  • Go to your college of enrollment's advising page to learn if there are specific instructions.
  • Sometimes getting your credit evaluated is a two-step process.
    • You may need to get your G000, S0000, T000 credit evaluated by the department, first. If you are instructed to do this, you should contact the transfer credit coordinator for that department and ask how to prepare your material for the evaluation. After departmental review, you can take that evaluation to your academic advisor, who will discuss "applying" that credit toward your degree program.
    • Other colleges might not send you to the department for an official evaluation; it all depends on their processes and what type of course and/or requirement you are inquiring about. The best advice is to e-mail your advisor and ask what the process is or visit your college's advising page within this web site.
  • Though the evaluation process may vary, you will most likely need to obtain a syllabus for each course you are inquiring about and bring them to your advising appointment, unless your advisor tells you the unit can use a course description instead.
  • If you are petitioning for a G000, S000, or T000 course to count for a degree requirement, think about why you feel a particular course meets the spirit of the requirement for which you are petitioning. For example, if you have a Theatre G000 course you feel should satisfy the Visual and Performing Arts GE requirement. If your college requires this, you might have to formally document your petition request rationale. You may need to complete other petition paperwork; this will depend on your college's policies. Schedule your advising appointment now.

Education Abroad

If you are planning an education abroad experience, it is in your best interest to make sure the course-work you plan on transferring back to Ohio State has been evaluated PRIOR to your departure. For special instructions from education abroad.