If you are looking for your final course grades, you need to log in to your My Buckeye Link account. You can also check your grades on the OSU Mobile App.

Grades and Marks

The faculty rule on grades and marks (Faculty Rule - 3335-8-21 Marks) authorizes a variety of grades beyond the standard letter grades of A - E. (Notice that Ohio State does not offer the grades of A+, D-, or F.) For example, an EN grade is a failing grade which indicates that you stopped attending the class at some point during the term. You earn no credit or points for either an E or an EN, but the credit hours attempted are calculated into your grade-point average. If you need to stop attending a course, please contact your advisor for information on appropriate action.

Below is some commentary about certain marks:

You can earn course credit by achieving qualifying scores on tests approved for EM credit. You can also earn credit through exams offered through the Testing Center (585 Student Academic Services Building) or the academic department offering a particular course. Students may also arrange with departments and faculty members to test for credit in courses that are not listed in the EM brochure, if the department thinks it appropriate. The department that offers the credit determines the score you will need to to earn credit for a course. Make sure you understand, going into the exam, the minimum score you will need.

See the Credit by Examination(EM) brochure, for detailed information and how to register.

If illness or an emergency prevents you from finishing a course, you may request an "Incomplete" from the instructor. If the instructor agrees, you should arrange to complete the course requirements no later than the sixth week of the following term - sooner, if the instructor will need it sooner. If the work is not made up by the due date, the "I" mark will be changed to an alternate grade that the instructor reported at the time the "I" was assigned.

You can take up to 20 credit hours of electives using the pass/non-pass (PA/NP) grading option. In courses graded PA/NP, you will earn credit hours for a grade of PA, no credit for a grade of NP. Neither grade will be counted in your GPA.. See your advisor early in the semester to discuss whether this is an appropriate option for you.

This is a grading basis, not a grading option. (Pass/Non-Pass is a grading option that the student selects and is available on courses normally graded A - E.) In courses graded S/U, you will earn credit hours for a grade of S, no credit for a grade of U. Neither grade will be counted in your GPA.

You can audit a course to refresh your understanding of the material (in a course you have already taken) or to learn more about a subject without earning a letter grade. Fees are assessed for auditing a course, but no credit hours are earned. Auditing a course requires the permission of the instructor and the permission of your college, through your academic advisor. You may not audit a course and then repeat it for credit.

  • Since you will not earn credit for an audit, the hours do not count toward eligibility for financial aid.

Courses dropped after the deadline for dropping without a W will receive a mark of W. If you are planning on dropping a course, be aware the date for dropping without a W.

  • A W is not calculated into your GPA; it simply indicates that you remained in the course beyond the deadline before you decided to drop it.
  • Too many Ws on your record will affect your satisfactory academic progress (SAP), for financial aid.
  • Graduate programs might consider a record of repeated Ws in their admissions decision.

If you have questions about this information and how it relates to your specific situation, please contact your advisor.