This session is for new (generally equals first few months) full-time academic advisors as welll as Faculty advisors, who are not new to advising, but are interested in learning more about academic advising at Ohio State. Ohio State community staff/faculty members interested in learning more about academic advising may also participate in this session.
Formal presentation (no group activities); however, conversation is encouraged through participant questions. We are able to offer a distance option via Carmen Connect. If you are interested in attending from a distance, you will need to email Wanzer.1 to let us know. Please send the email a week in advance of the scheduled session.
Shannon Peltier and Amy Treboni
Please read the following articles and listen to the audio recordings prior to attending this session; they are intended to help with our conversations and an exercise we have planned (if we have the time). More specifically, the first three articles will help you share a personal definition of advising. If you are an experienced advisor and have not interacted with these, please consider doing so; they are an important foundation to the work you do.
- (Knowledge) Describe, generally, the organizational structure of Ohio State
- (Synthesis) Connect with advisors outside of one's advising unit
- (Valuing) Appreciate the differences between advisors and advising units across campus
- (Comprehension) Write a personal definition of advising
- (Comprehension) Provide two examples for how to balance being an advocate for the student and enforcing policy
- (Comprehension) Paraphrase the components and goals of the curricular experience at Ohio State
- (Comprehension) Define the value of a liberal arts education
- (Knowledge) Identify all available advising tools and resources
- (Knowledge) Describe how to best refer a student to identified campus resources (i.e., Counseling and Consultation Service, Student Wellness Center, Student Advocacy, Dennis Learning Center, Disability Services, the Student Services Center, and career-related resources).
- Ohio State Acronyms and Terms
- Office of Academic Affairs Organizational Chart
- Office of Undergraduate Education (UE)'s organizational chart
- Overview of UE's role
- Office of Enrollment Services Organizational Chart
- University Registrar's Organizational Chart
- Student Services Center (SSC)'s Organizational Chart
- Office of Student Life's Organizational Chart
- Incoming student profile, graduation rates, etc. (data from Enrollment Services Analysis and Reporting)
- Advising structure and philosophy
- Overview of an advisor's job, with main emphasis on how functions may be different/similar across advising units
General Education reference materials and a Liberal Arts overview
- AdvisingConnect (retiring notes feature January 2017) and OnCourse (EAB Student Success Collaborative)
- Advising Report provided with extensive documentation for understanding and interpretation
- College Source
- The Advising Encyclopedia
- Doing business with the Student Services Center (SSC)/Financial Aid/University Registrar (OUR)
- Counseling and Consultation Services, Student Wellness Center, Student Advocacy, Dennis Learning Center, Disability Services, and career-related resources.
International Students, Student-Athletes, Transfer Students, and Veteran and Military Students