Types of Advisors

Types of Advisors

Your academic advisor is the person you will talk to about which courses to take and planning for your degree. You should meet with your advisor as often as you need to and for any reason you see fit. Advisors come to Ohio State with at least a master's degree and diverse backgrounds (social workers, teachers, university faculty, residence hall directors). If you are pursuing special programs, you may have multiple advisors.

This is the advisor you go to with questions about:

  • How to understand the General Education (GE) curriculum or choose GE courses that relate to your career goals
  • How to prepare for graduation
  • University policies or procedures
  • Getting linked with campus support services
  • General problem-solving

Some students may have different advisors for the college and the major. Students with questions like the ones above should contact the academic advisors who is called the "College Office Advisor" and should contact their Major Advisor, Departmental Advisor, or Faculty Advisor for questions about their major (see below).

Your major/department advisor is an expert in your field of study. This advisor works for the department that offers your major and you should talk to this person about:

  • Issues related to your major
  • Internships
  • Research opportunities, including your thesis project
  • Questions about careers in the field

This advisor is either a full-time professional advisor or a faculty member in your department who, in addition to teaching and doing research, provides advising support to students. If it's a faculty member, then this advisor may be called your "Faculty Advisor".

Your minor advisor is an expert in your minor field of study. This advisor, who works for the department that offers the minor, is either a full-time professional advisor or a faculty member who advises students, teaches, and conducts research. You should talk to this person about issues with your minor.

Generally, you will talk to this advisor for questions about degree requirements, for help with an Honors Contract, and to discuss honors research or other special honors opportunities.

In some colleges, the honors advisor may also be the primary academic advisor for students in the program; in other colleges, the honors advisor will be a separate advisor.

Scholars advisors coordinate programs and events for students enrolled in University Scholars programs. Advisors in some of the scholars programs may also be the primary academic advisor for students in the program.

A career services advisor will help you with planning for your life after graduation, including looking for internships, writing a resume, practicing for interviews, or starting your job search. Students are encouraged to start working with a career advisor as early as their first or second year for long-term planning.

For many Career Services Offices, you can schedule an appointment with your Career Services Advisor by logging into Handshake.

Each team has an athletic advisor who provides individualized attention to each team member. They answer questions about academic eligibility and compliance with NCAA, Big Ten, and Ohio State academic standards and policies. They also work with academic advisors to monitor a student's progress in their degree program.

Office of Diversity and Inclusion (ODI) counselors use a culturally holistic perspective to advise students affiliated with or funded by the office. They address developmental, emotional, financial, personal, and social issues that affect students academically and/or that prevent a student from staying at the university. ODI students are served by staff in one or more of the following programs:

  • ACCESS Collaborative
  • Bell Resource Center
  • Bridge Program
  • Campus Change
  • Mentoring Program
  • Post-Baccalaureate Preparation Program
  • Retention Services.

Not sure who your academic advisor is?

  • Log into your Buckeye Link account. Your advisor's name is on the right-side, in the "Advisor" box. Click on details for contact information.

  • You could also log into OnCourse. Each advisor has a different role in supporting student success, so you may have more than one. For more information about which advisor to see for your questions, see Types of advisors above.

  • Colleges assign students to advisors differently, so if you don't see any names listed (or if you believe the wrong advisor is listed), contact your advising office and ask.

  • If you change your major, you will most likely be switched to a new advisor.

Know who your advisor is but haven't met yet?

Schedule an appointment and introduce yourself! Review the list of questions and discussion topics to take to your first appointment.

Schedule an Appointment

Why you may be referred to another advisor?

  • To add a second major (or to change major) in another college.

  • To add a minor. Your assigned advisor may not be able to "just add a minor" to your record. Minors are offered through different departments across the university, and some require permission before they can be added. Search a list of available minors;if you do not see the one you are interested in listed, contact your assigned advisor.

  • To explore a study abroad. Some college advisors can advise you on programs their college/school offers, but many will refer you to the official study abroad office serving students across campus.

  • To find an internship or to begin your job search. Your assigned advisor may give you career-related information, but depending on what questions you have, may also refer you to a career advisor.

  • If you are interested in a pre-professional program, like Law, Medicine, or Education, your assigned may refer you to another advisor for additional information.